WIPO: China again leads IP filings
On 3 December 2018, the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) published its annual report on World Intellectual Property Indicators 2018 (WIPI). The report analyzes the IP activity around the world in the previous year 2017 and gives an insight on the overall number of filings, registrations and maintenance of trademarks, patents, utility models and designs.
As in the year 2016, China remained the overall leader according to volume of applications for all intellectual property rights. The highest growth of filing activity was then monitored in the field of trademark applications, when in just one year the number grew from 9.77 million to 12.39 million trademark filings.
Trademarks – overall number of filings in 2017: 12.387.600
- China: 5.739.823
- U.S.: 613.921
- Japan: 560.269
The most trademark applications were accounted in Asia with 66,6 %. Europe´s share fell to 17,7 %, third is a combined share of Africa, Latin America, Caribbean and Oceania with 9,2 % and the last is North America with 6,4 %.
In 2017, most of the trademark applications were sought for the field of advertising and business management. The second most “common class” of application was clothing, then computers/software and instruments and then followed by the education and entertainment sector.
Patents – overall number of filings in 2017: 3.168.900
- China: 1.381.594
- U.S.: 606.956
- Japan: 318.479
Utility models – overall number of filings in 2017: 1.761.200
- China: 1.687.593
- Germany: 13.301
- Russian Federation: 10.643
Industrial designs – overall number of filings in 2017: 1.242.100
- China: 628.658
- EUIPO: 111.021
- Republic of Korea: 67.357
For the whole report and rankings for 2017, please click here.
- 1 December 2017: Madrid Monitor takes its place as the one and only tool for tracking international trademarks
- 1 January 2020 - Changes in Classifications - Trademarks, Designs, Patents and Utility Models
- 100th Anniversary of Bavaria (Germany) - A glance at trademarks, start-ups, innovation & events
- 10th Anniversary Edition - 10 Things to Know about LexDellmeier - Past, Present & Future
- Another year older…
- António Campinos will be the new EPO President from June 2018
- Arguments gone with the wind: the EGC upholds a decision concerning a potential one-letter “e” mark
- At a glance: Higher Regional Court Frankfurt a.M. rules on international competence of German courts for adverts on the Internet (Decision 6 U 3/18 of 14 February 2019)
- Best Global Brands 2018 – according to rankings prepared by Interbrand
- Brexit and its implications on EU trademarks and designs